Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

I hope everyone has enjoyed wonderful holidays.

We had the "3 days of Christmas": 23 gathered at my brother Tom's on the Sunday before Christmas; 13 gathered at my sister Terri's on Christmas Eve; and 10 of us gathered on Christmas Day.  I don't need to eat again for 2 weeks!

Mindy & I had a delightful time with the Traveling Teapot.  She baked cookies & cupcakes, and we had a "dessert tea" for the great-nephews [Mason, in first grade; Austin, aged 3; and baby Wyatt].  We also had a "cream tea" for the sisters [me; Terri, Mindy's mother; Jackie], before going to a Gladys Knight concert [tickets were their Christmas present to me].

Mindy's Christmas gift to me was a white teapot, with a knitted tea cosy, so the Traveling Teapot had company on the drive home [Florida is a BIG state -- it is 600 miles from Pensacola to Palm Beach Gardens].

The weather was delightful, and so we walked everyday; when dining out, always sat outside; and did a strolling "homes tour" in the Old Northwood historic district of West Palm Beach -- toured 12 homes from the 1920s, mostly of the craftsman style.

The teapot and I drove home on Sunday, and it is now winging its way to Colleen in California.  I hope she has as much fun with it as I did!

It is almost kumquat season here in the Florida panhandle, so I want to share a very easy recipe:

KUMQUAT REFRIGERATOR PIE

Ingredients:
1 graham cracker crust
1 8-oz cool whip
2/3 cup pureed kumquats
1 can [14 oz] condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice

Directions:
  • Combine condensed milk & cool whip.  Beat.
  • Add lemon juice.  Beat until thickened.
  • Add pureed kumquats & stir.
  • Pour into pie shell.
  • Freeze.
  • Garnish with fresh kumquat slices or mint

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

The teapot and you had a wonderful Christmas! It sounds like there was never a moment to be lonely. I love that it shared so much family time with you, Vicki. And how special that you received another beautiful teapot and cozy for Christmas. Even though the little plum teapot has traveled on, you still have warm memories of its visit --- and another teapot to fill its spot in your heart.

Marilyn Miller said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures of the little plum teapot in Florida.